Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Rainy/Cold Weather Recipe

Since everyone seems to be having rainy and/or cold weather, I thought you might could use a good recipe for this type of weather. This is one of my favorites for those type of days. Just good, warm comfort food.

Swiss Steak

4-6 cubed steak
seasoning - your choice - salt & pepper/Mrs. Dash/Nature's Seasons
1/2 can Beef Broth (I used reduced sodium)
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/3 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp pepper

In very large skillet or small dutch oven that has been sprayed with cooking spray, place lightly seasoned cubed steaks. Sear both sides, but do not cook through. In separate bowl, combine can of diced tomatoes, beef broth (if you want more liquid, you can use whole can), Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Stir together and then pour over cubed steaks. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Serve over mashed potatoes. The steak will be falling apart - yummy!

For great tasting mashed potatoes, with less fat - once you have boiled potatoes with salt and drained them, mash them with a good splash of milk and about 1/3-1/2 cup of reduced sodium chicken stock , adding more stock if needed. I generally have a green vegetable on the side - green beans, asparagus, peas or broccoli. An easy, great meal. My whole family loves it!

I haven't done much stitching the last couple of weeks to speak of. Work has kept me too busy. I am still trying to finish January's project for the Bride's Tree SAL I signed up for. Hope to finish that this week. Not to mention I need to try and get February's done as well. :-) I have stitched a tiny bit on my train. Not much to show, but every little bit counts. Speaking of my train...I was asked for the title and who it is by...It is "Holiday Express" by Stardust Designs. If you decide to stitch this project, please note, the backstitching directions are lousy (use darkest color of what is in that area - maybe they have improved the directions since I purchased my pattern well over 6 years ago) and you will need much more krenik that one spool. The entire train, except for one or two small spots is stitched with blending filament. All windows use blending filament as well.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying dry and warm and getting some great stitching done!

Go here for stash sale!

No comments: