Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Tasty Diversion

I've managed to do a little bit of stitching lately, but haven't taken a picture yet. I promise to post a picture within the next week. I am pleased with the amount of stitching I have done on my train, but hope to have one entire section done before I take a picture.

So...to make my post to where it isn't completely boring this week I will post a recipe. Please don't let the name of the cake keep you from trying it. It is very good!!! You don't notice the fruit at all. So, don't even think fruitcake or anything like that. You will really be surprised by how tasty it is. Sharon has even tried it and liked it. :-)

Fruit Cocktail Cake

Cake:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 (16 oz) can Fruit Cocktail in heavy syrup ( do not drain!!!)

Topping:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Glaze:

1 stick butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together all dry ingredients. Add in eggs, vanilla and Fruit Cocktail until well blended. Do not overmix. Pour in a greased 9 x 13 pan. Put topping ingredients on top of cake batter. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Remove cake from oven.

Put glaze toppings in saucepan over med. high heat. Stirring continuously, bring ingredients to a boil. Continuing stirring and allow to boil 2 minutes. Pour over warm cake. Place cake in refrigerator until cool. Top with Cool Whip and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Keep leftover cake stored in refrigerator.

NOTE: For glaze...If you do not have evaporated milk you can use 1/3 cup milk and add an extra tablespoon of sugar.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Hi Jinger, I will definitely have to make this. It was great.