Thursday, October 23, 2008

Vacation pics at last!


Since I don't have a finish this week to show or anything besides lots of snow and backstitching (boring) to show on my Train project, here are some pictures from my summer vacation. I know, I know. I'm very late posting these, but better late than never. :-)


Here they are:


Lincoln birthplace and Memorial: Kentucky










Sear's Tower: Chicago


















Navy Pier: Chicago












View of Chicago skyline with Buckingham Fountain in center










A wild horse in Theodore Roosevelt National Park: North Dakota













Devil's Tower: Wyoming


















Crazy Horse Monument/Memorial: Custer, South Dakota


NOTE: The hole in center is 10 stories tall. This sculpture is massive!!!






Sculpture of what Mountain will eventually look like. Mountain can be seen through hole under pointing arm.












Mt. Rushmore: South Dakota













Cathedral Spires: Custer State Park, Custer, South Dakota













Ram in Custer State Park











Buffalo roaming at Wind Cave National Park: Custer, South Dakota












The Badlands of South Dakota









Probably one of the places I enjoyed the most this trip was the Crazy Horse Monument/Memorial. Hearing the story of how the monument started and the dedication of the sculptor (Korczak Ziolkowski) and now his family to continue this project without any funding was fascinating. Touring the sculptor's studio and home were so awe inspiring. A truly brilliant, dedicated artist.

13 comments:

Terry said...

Pics are beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Yoyo said...

You made the same trip we made several years ago,but in reverse. I can tell because you took pictures of the same things we did (LOL). We flew to Calif and drove back to Chicago. When we made our trip Crazy Horse was just started, there was certainly no 10 story hole and there was a red flag standing to show you where the man's nose was going to be.....your picture is a lot nicer than mine. Hope you enjoyed your travel as much as we did.

Leigh

Cindy F. said...

Wow! Beautiful pics! You guys had an incredible vacation!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I loved these pictures and what a priceless treasure this vacation must have been...touring the great land that we love! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

I love your vacation pics! You must have had so much fun. What awesome photography! Thank you for sharing.

Miokka said...

Wonderful vacation pictures. I took the same trip almost 20 years ao & loved Crazy Horse the most. I can't wait to go back!

Christine said...

Lovely pictures. I can't believe the scale of that sculpture

Carol R said...

Great vacation pics - thanks for sharing.

Nice blog too!

Shari said...

ahha! I found your blog!! Thanks for visiting mine!!!
Love your vacation pictures!!!! Would you believe I live close to Chicago & I have never seen the sights you have shown?!?

Ruth said...

I'm so jealous, but I'm happy you shared your beautiful pictures!

Dawn B. said...

You took some awsume photos. Looks like you had a blast.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful pictures!

Pam Seavey Schaffner said...

Really enjoyed seeing your pictures from your vacation. I have been to Rushmore, etc., twice, and it never ceases to impress me. Glad you had a great time...Happy New Year!